Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Race Track Diary, Entry Number 46 – Century Mile and Billy Budd’s (Sep 20, 2026)

  

Race Track Diary, Entry Number Forty-

six – Century Mile and Billy Budd’s 

(Sep 20, 2026)

Introduction

This blog and some following blogs are sections from an informal diary of “visits to the race-track” at a particular time and place, by a person who has followed the races with varying levels of participation over a long period. These relate primarily to some visits to the track and/or off-track betting venues in the 2025 period and onward. They contain observations about the activity, both specific and general. Although these remarks are personal, they also reflect general cultural and historical trends, as they have impacted horse-racing, wagering and culture in general.

The setting is Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (population of about one million plus). However, I imagine that the observations would apply to many places in the world, as they are a reflection of how changing trends in technology, globalization and culture in general have affected this ancient and honourable activity of horse-racing.

For now, I will use what I call “polished point-form” for the narrative.

======================================================================

  • 46 – “The Library” (Continental Inn) (Sep 20, 2026)

    • There was a rather long break in the action, due to unexpected developments, namely an accident that someone close to me experienced (my wife, actually). That necessitated much worry and many hospital visits. It was also a reminder of what really matters in life. Activities like horse-racing or golf are great, but they pale in significance when someone close to you is in jeopardy, whether by accident or some other medical misfortune.

    • However that person was now recovering nicely, so my brother and I decided to make a brief foray to an off-track betting room during one sunny afternoon. I decided that there was no point moping about the house forever. The accident victim concurred and encouraged me to ‘just go ahead and bet on your horsies’.

    • This is a place in the west end that Craig jokingly refers to as “the library”, as it is a venue where older gentlemen quietly contemplate the horse-races.

    • While there, we met up with Teddy, an old friend of Craig’s, who is an extremely enthusiastic horse player. He was not quite so quiet as the other gents in the pub.

    • For much of the time we were there, his horses were not playing nice, which had him in some audible distress. However, at the end of the day, he hit on a big win ticket, backed up by a big place ticket and an exactor, so that improved his mood considerably. That was good to see.

    • We were only visiting for a short time and the harness races at Woodbine/Mohawk didn’t start until late in the afternoon, so I advance bet those races. That involves punching one’s picks into the betting machines far before the races begin, then going home to do other things.

    • Teddy asked if I would watch the races at home, on the internet. I said “no, I will check the results tomorrow.” He was surprised by my equanimity in such matters. But I replied that I see this as more of an intellectual challenge and an opportunity to put my data science skills to use, than as gambling per se. He accepted that, though with some amazement, I suspect.

    • I should note that I bet the top-ranked horse from my ROI model. This is a model that is optimized for return on investment (ROI) rather than straight win percentage. Advance betting meant that I couldn’t adjust my betting as the odds on each horse changed before the race. It also meant straight win bets on this occasion.

    • Anyway, here are my results for the races at Woodbine/Mohawk.

      • In the First race, I bet the #2 horse, which went off at better than 20-1 odds. It finished in 5th place, which is not too surprising given those odds. As I mentioned above, the system is optimized for ROI, so betting on the occasional long-odds horse is part of the system.

      • In the Second race, I bet the #8 horse, which came in second by a length. It went off at 19 to 1 odds, and paid $12.50 on each $2 bet to place. So that was pretty close.

      • In the Third, I bet the #6 horse, at 41 to 1. It finished in 6th place, well back by over 10 lengths.

      • In the Fourth race, I bet the #4 horse. It came in fourth, four lengths off the winner. That was a 40 to 1 shot.

      • In the Fifth race, I finally got a winner, though its odds were only a bit over even money. It paid $4.30 to win on each $2 bet. Depending on the competition in the race, this ROI system will sometimes pick a relatively low-odds horse. And, of course, at the time that the data is entered it is impossible to know what the final odds on any given horse will be.

      • In the Sixth race, I got another winner (#1 horse), which paid $7.60 on each $2 bet. It won quite handily, by 2 lengths, running in the front for the last half of the race. Interestingly, it ran out of the one-hole, a post I prefer to avoid. Sometimes playing a system diligently gets you to do things you wouldn’t normally do. In this case it was a good thing.

      • In Race 7, I bet the #4 horse, which went off at 28 to 1, and placed fourth.

      • In the Eighth, I bet #4 again, which came in second, a couple of ticks back from the winner. The horse went off at over 100 to 1, so talk about agonizingly close. For place, it paid $57.40.

      • In Race 9, I bet the #1 horse. It went off at 12 to 1 and came in fourth.

      • In the Tenth, I bet the #5 horse. Though its odds were only 9 to 2, it did nothing, finishing next to last, 10 lengths behind the winner.

      • Finally, in the 11th Race I got another winner, this one paying $11.50 to win. It had a very good stretch run, nipping the lead horse at the wire, by a head. So, I guess I was saved by the cavalry.

    • In summary, it was a fair day, with my horses doing a bit better than breaking even, winning 3 out of 11 bets, at pretty good odds. . In percentage terms, it was a 6.4% return on investment.

        

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 And here’s an account of some road trips in south-western Alberta:

A Selection of Back-Road Trips Around

 Southwest Alberta

There are two main aspects to a road trip: the journey and the destination. Sometimes the trip is all about the journey, sometimes it’s all about the destination. Usually it is a little of both.

This collection of back-roads journeys feature a little bit of both of these aspects. Some accounts are more about the ‘journey’, such as a road trip on scenic Highway 22. Others are more about the ‘destination’, such as the show-jumping at Spruce Meadows. I hope you will enjoy reading some of these accounts and maybe give them a spin for yourself.

Southwest 1 – A Road Trip on Scenic Highway 22

Southwest 2 – The Equestrian Competitions at Spruce Meadows (Calgary)

Southwest 3 – The Bar U Ranch, south of Long View

Southwest 4 – Kananaskis Country

Southwest 5 – Blackfoot Crossing

Southwest 6 – Back-roads, from the Prairies to the Foothills: Brazeau Dam Trip

Southwest 7 – A Back-roads Trip to Hinton and the Forestry Trunk Roads

The reader may wonder “what about the Ice-fields Parkway?” or “where is a visit to Banff?” I would answer, that these famous destinations are covered very nicely by other books. This account is meant to focus on some less travelled areas, thus the “back-roads” descriptor.

I should note that the other three quadrants of Alberta also have a lot of interesting back-roads journeys, but those are material for some other books which will be published in due time.

Amazon U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon U.K: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0DCMJP47G

Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0DCMJP47G



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Zoo Hypothesis


We present a story giving a possible scenario for the so-called Zoo Hypothesis, an explanation known in Star Trek lore as the Prime Directive. It’s an explanation sometimes given to account for a mystery in the Search for Intelligent Life, known as The Great Silence, or Fermi’s Paradox.


Basically, Enrico Fermi argued (quite convincingly, to many observers), that there had been ample time for an alien intelligence to colonize the galaxy since its formation, so where are they? The Zoo Hypotheses says that they are out there, but have cordoned off the Earth from contact, until we are sufficiently evolved or culturally advanced to handle the impact of alien contact.

This story takes a humorous tongue in cheek approach to that explanation. It also features dogs and sly references to Star Trek. Talk about man’s Best Friend.

It is only 99 cents U.S., equivalent price in other currencies. It is also available on Kindle Unlimited and is sometimes on a free promotion.

Amazon U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon U.K.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B076RR1PGD

Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076RR1PGD



A Selection of Back-Road Trips Around 

Southeast Alberta

There are two main aspects to a road trip: the journey and the destination. Sometimes the trip is all about the journey, sometimes it’s all about the destination. Usually it is a little of both.

This collection of back-roads journeys feature a little bit of both of these aspects. Some accounts are more about the ‘journey’, such as Drumheller, via the Backroads of Central Alberta. Others are more about the ‘destination’, such as the Viking Ribstones. The collection even includes a train trip, on the historic Alberta Prairie Railroad, which strictly speaking isn't a back-road trip but rather a back rail-road trip. I hope you will enjoy reading some of these accounts and maybe give them a spin for yourself.


Southeast 1 – Stettler Train Trip – Living History on the Alberta Prairie Railway

Southeast 2 – Viking Rib Stones – Indigenous Heritage and Tradition

Southeast 3 – Drumheller, via the Backroads of Central Alberta

Southeast 4 – Cypress Hills – An Island on the Prairie that Escaped the Ice Age

Southeast 5 – On the Road with Bronco Billy, A Trucking Journal – Southern Alberta Section

Southeast 6 – A Back-road Trip to Bittern Lake and Lake Miquelon Provincial Park

Southeast 7 – A Back-roads Trip to Rochon Sands, Buffalo Lake Provincial Park

The reader may wonder “what about the Tyrell Dinosaur Fossil Museum?” or “where is a visit to the Calgary Stampede?” I would answer, that these famous destinations are covered very nicely by other books. This account is meant to focus on some less travelled areas, thus the “back-roads” descriptor.

I should note that Southwest and Northern Alberta also have a lot of interesting back-roads journeys, but that is material for some other books. The southwest collection is available now on Amazon, the northern excursions will be published in due course.

Just $1.99 on Amazon, or free if you have Kindle Unlimited. It is also periodically on free promotion.


Amazon U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon U.K: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0DCWCCTKC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A Dark Horse

In “A Dark Horse”, a gambler’s desire to hit a big win seems to lead him to make a Faustian bargain with a supernatural evil.  Or is it all just a string of unnaturally good luck?

The story is just $0.99 U.S. (equivalent in other currencies) and about 8000 words. It is also available on Kindle Unlimited and is occasionally on free promotion.


U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

U.K.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B01M9BS3Y5

Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MDMY2BR

Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01M9BS3Y5


Here’s an interesting review from Goodreads

(BTW, the writer has never met the reviewer and was not even aware of the review until very recently – You can look up the review on Goodreads, if you like)

A Dark Horse

Every gambler is bound to run out of luck eventually, right?

By far my favourite type of horror is psychological horror. I was quite pleased with how Mr. Olausen frightened his audience without spilling a single drop of blood or so much as hinting at anything gory. He knew exactly what hints to drop for us that made us deliciously dread the next scene simply by throwing out hints about who or what the dark horse might actually represent. This is the kind of stuff I love getting scared by, especially as Halloween approaches.

It would have been helpful to have more character development in this short story. While I certainly wouldn’t expect to see as much time spent on this as I would for a full-length novel, I did have trouble connecting to the main characters due to how little I knew about them and how much their personalities seemed to remain the same no matter what happened to them. If not for this issue, I would have felt comfortable choosing a much higher rating as the plot itself was well done.

I must admit to not knowing much about gambling at all, so I appreciated the brief explanations the narrator shared about how placing bets works and why some people have so much trouble walking away from a bet. While I will leave it up to experts on these topics to say how accurate everything was, I did enjoy learning more about the main character’s addiction and what he hoped to gain from betting on just one more game or race. It gave me a stronger sense of empathy for folks in his position.

A Dark Horse – A Gothic Tale was a deliciously chilling story for the Halloween season and beyond.



No comments:

Post a Comment