Race Track Diary, Entry Number 44-
Century Mile and Billy Budd’s
(August 29, 2026)
Introduction
This blog and some following blogs are sections from an informal diary of “visits to the race-track” at a particular time and place, by a person who has followed the races with varying levels of participation over a long period. These relate primarily to some visits to the track and/or off-track betting venues in the 2025 period and onward. They contain observations about the activity, both specific and general. Although these remarks are personal, they also reflect general cultural and historical trends, as they have impacted horse-racing, wagering and culture in general.
The setting is Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (population of about one million plus). However, I imagine that the observations would apply to many places in the world, as they are a reflection of how changing trends in technology, globalization and culture in general have affected this ancient and honourable activity of horse-racing.
For now, I will use what I call “polished point-form” for the narrative.
======================================================================
44 – Billy Budd’s (Aug 29, 2026)
This was a somewhat unusual day, as I went to the off-track alone. My brother’s feet were giving him some trouble, as a lot of stair-climbing had been necessary while visiting his in-laws (the elevator wasn’t working). Thus, he had to take the day off.
So, I decided I might as well go by myself, as I had already worked out my numbers for this day’s card a couple of days earlier. It takes several hours to enter data, then to update formulas (as required), print out results, compare those to the track touts, etc.. No point wasting all that effort. My wife doesn’t mind, as long as I break even over the long run and bring her back some pizza.
Getting there a bit early for the Harness Races, I walked around the general area. I discovered a brewpub just a block south of Budd’s. I sometimes purchase their products at the local farmer’s market, which are pretty good. It is too bad Budd’s doesn’t carry some of their stuff, but I suppose they are locked into deals by the big breweries that prevent them from doing that.
The pub was surprisingly crowded and busy at around 4:45. That included the horse-racing area, which is often emptying out by about that time. Why was it so busy? I realized that it was a payday weekend, and possibly a three-pay-cheque month for a lot of people. I recall those from some of my early biweekly pay jobs – they were fun, fun, fun.
Most of the people in the horseracing area were regulars.
Without knowing names, one tends to give descriptive labels to people: the Chinese guy, the excitable guy, the well-informed guy, the Lady known as Lil, the guy with the folding cane, the Roughriders guy, the guy who looks like a guy I used to work with, and so forth.
I suppose to them, I’m a regular too (most Saturdays for the past year or so I have shown up there). Maybe they call me the guy with all the papers or the stats guy. Who knows?
I chatted with the Chinese guy about one of the races. How do you bet a race with a 1/19 favourite, with only win betting permitted? We both agreed that it is hardly worth betting, though I bet it anyway (and lost).
The Roughriders guy mused rather cryptically: “20-1 is safer than 5 to 1”.
The well-informed guy said knew the owner of one of the horses, so he bet on it. That horse came in to win at very good odds. He was going bring home lasagna for his mom. That was nice to hear; I was planning to take home pizza for my wife.
The excitable guy, watching a race at Emerald Downs: “Come on 5, come on 5, Yeah! He made it!”. That was nice. His excitement is often of a less positive sort (i.e. the horse usually loses).
A couple came in that was known by the Lady Known as Lil. The woman said she quit her teaching job as the principal and vice-principal were implementing crazy policies (the kids were alright). So, she took a waitressing job, which was much less stressful. Which was interesting, as one of the waitresses at Budd’s had once said much the same thing.
This day had a lot of high-purse races, many of which were races for promising 2 and 3 year-olds, with horses coming in from big U.S. tracks like Meadow Lands, Yonkers and Saratoga.
Anyway, off to the betting:
In the first race, the #7 horse had lots of good indicators but I misread my cheat-sheet and bet the #4. However, it had a sharp odds-drop, from 7/2 to 3/2, while the odds on the #7 actually went up during the betting, from 3/1 to 5/1, so my mis-bet seemed ok. But as it turned out, the 7 ran nearly wire to wire, while the 4 died in the stretch, finishing third. It goes to show that watching the odds is important, but not decisive. A fellow sitting a couple seats down told his companion that he bet the #7, as he knows the owner, whom he says is a very sharp guy. I don’t know if that qualifies as insider knowledge, though.
In the second race, I decided to bet a sure-thing beer-bet since it was about time for a beer and pizza. Both of my systems really liked the #5 horse, so I decided to ignore the odds and go with the system, with a show bet at 9/1. Unfortunately, it came in fourth, with a stretch run that didn’t quite get there. So, no beer, no pizza.
For Race #3, I went with the #5 again, with a place bet (there was no show betting on the race, as there were two strong favourites running). One of the favourites came in; there was a long-shot that came in second, but it wasn’t mine. The winner had a huge odds drop (from 10/ to 1/1), most of which happened in last minute of betting. You’d almost think that somebody knew something.
Race #4 was a bit of a nail-biter. Both of my systems had the #6 in the money, though the touts didn’t like the horse. It had a fair-sized odds drop as well, from 5/1 to 2/1. So, on this occasion I put Win money on the horse. The horse ran wire-to-wire, but was challenged all the way. However, it hung in there gamely and paid $6.00 per $2 bet. So, that was a nice beer and pizza bet.
In the Fifth Race, I went back to the #6 horse, which my systems had running in the money (the touts didn’t). It also had a big odds drop, from 12/1 to 5/2. It ran a game race, battling for the lead all the way and ultimately prevailing. However, I jammed out a bit and only had him to place. Strangely, the win ticket paid $5.40 but the place was only $2.50.
In Race #6, I went back to the #5 horse. The race had a ridiculous favourite, which went of at 1/19, paying $2.10 to win. There was no place or show betting permitted. It was basically a toss-up with the other horses, all of which had odds over 25/1. The exactor paid a bit over even money, so it was hardly worth betting the race at all. A quick calculation shows that probably $50k of the $53k of the win pool went on the favourite.
In Race #7, I bet the #5 to show, since my systems liked it to win and it was going off at better than 9/1. It did run a good race, moving up several lengths in the stretch to take a slice of the money, paying $4.20 to show on every $2.
I skipped the 8th Race, as my systems didn’t correlate very well with the picks of the touts. That seemed like a bad omen or something. I was at the break-even level (give or take a buck), so I thought I might as well pack it in while I still felt good about the day. Besides, I had promised to bring a pizza home to my wife and I wanted to leave before it got very dark.
Had I stuck around for the last four races, there is a decent chance that I would have done ok. One of my systems picked a nice long-shot winner, as well as some decent mid-odds horses that finished in the money. However, that is all conjecture, for some sci-fi world where all possibilities are realized, but not this one.
In summary, I broke even on the day, cashing in 3 of 7 tickets, two of which were at pretty good prices and one of which was slim, but better than a loss. A solo day betting the races was more fun than I expected, though it helps the fun if you win or at least break even.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here’s an account of some road trips in south-western Alberta:
A Selection of Back-Road Trips Around
Southwest Alberta
There are two main aspects to a road trip: the journey and the destination. Sometimes the trip is all about the journey, sometimes it’s all about the destination. Usually it is a little of both.
This collection of back-roads journeys feature a little bit of both of these aspects. Some accounts are more about the ‘journey’, such as a road trip on scenic Highway 22. Others are more about the ‘destination’, such as the show-jumping at Spruce Meadows. I hope you will enjoy reading some of these accounts and maybe give them a spin for yourself.Southwest 1 – A Road Trip on Scenic Highway 22
Southwest 2 – The Equestrian Competitions at Spruce Meadows (Calgary)
Southwest 3 – The Bar U Ranch, south of Long View
Southwest 4 – Kananaskis Country
Southwest 5 – Blackfoot Crossing
Southwest 6 – Back-roads, from the Prairies to the Foothills: Brazeau Dam Trip
Southwest 7 – A Back-roads Trip to Hinton and the Forestry Trunk Roads
The reader may wonder “what about the Ice-fields Parkway?” or “where is a visit to Banff?” I would answer, that these famous destinations are covered very nicely by other books. This account is meant to focus on some less travelled areas, thus the “back-roads” descriptor.
I should note that the other three quadrants of Alberta also have a lot of interesting back-roads journeys, but those are material for some other books which will be published in due time.
Amazon U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon U.K: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0DCMJP47G
Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0DCMJP47G
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Zoo Hypothesis
We
present a story giving a possible scenario for the so-called Zoo
Hypothesis, an explanation known in Star Trek lore as the Prime
Directive. It’s an explanation sometimes given to account for a
mystery in the Search for Intelligent Life, known as The Great
Silence, or Fermi’s Paradox.
Basically, Enrico Fermi argued (quite convincingly, to many observers), that there had been ample time for an alien intelligence to colonize the galaxy since its formation, so where are they? The Zoo Hypotheses says that they are out there, but have cordoned off the Earth from contact, until we are sufficiently evolved or culturally advanced to handle the impact of alien contact.
This story takes a humorous tongue in cheek approach to that explanation. It also features dogs and sly references to Star Trek. Talk about man’s Best Friend.
It is only 99 cents U.S., equivalent price in other currencies. It is also available on Kindle Unlimited and is sometimes on a free promotion.
Amazon U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon U.K.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B076RR1PGD
Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076RR1PGD
A Selection of Back-Road Trips Around
Southeast Alberta
There are two main aspects to a road trip: the journey and the destination. Sometimes the trip is all about the journey, sometimes it’s all about the destination. Usually it is a little of both.
This collection of back-roads journeys feature a little bit of both of these aspects. Some accounts are more about the ‘journey’, such as Drumheller, via the Backroads of Central Alberta. Others are more about the ‘destination’, such as the Viking Ribstones. The collection even includes a train trip, on the historic Alberta Prairie Railroad, which strictly speaking isn't a back-road trip but rather a back rail-road trip. I hope you will enjoy reading some of these accounts and maybe give them a spin for yourself.
Southeast 1 – Stettler Train Trip – Living History on the Alberta Prairie Railway
Southeast 2 – Viking Rib Stones – Indigenous Heritage and Tradition
Southeast 3 – Drumheller, via the Backroads of Central Alberta
Southeast 4 – Cypress Hills – An Island on the Prairie that Escaped the Ice Age
Southeast 5 – On the Road with Bronco Billy, A Trucking Journal – Southern Alberta Section
Southeast 6 – A Back-road Trip to Bittern Lake and Lake Miquelon Provincial Park
Southeast 7 – A Back-roads Trip to Rochon Sands, Buffalo Lake Provincial Park
The reader may wonder “what about the Tyrell Dinosaur Fossil Museum?” or “where is a visit to the Calgary Stampede?” I would answer, that these famous destinations are covered very nicely by other books. This account is meant to focus on some less travelled areas, thus the “back-roads” descriptor.
I should note that Southwest and Northern Alberta also have a lot of interesting back-roads journeys, but that is material for some other books. The southwest collection is available now on Amazon, the northern excursions will be published in due course.
Just $1.99 on Amazon, or free if you have Kindle Unlimited. It is also periodically on free promotion.
Amazon U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon U.K: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0DCWCCTKC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Dark Horse
In “A Dark Horse”, a gambler’s desire to hit a big win seems to lead him to make a Faustian bargain with a supernatural evil. Or is it all just a string of unnaturally good luck?
The story is just $0.99 U.S. (equivalent in other currencies) and about 8000 words. It is also available on Kindle Unlimited and is occasionally on free promotion.
U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
U.K.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Netherlands: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MDMY2BR
Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01M9BS3Y5
Here’s an interesting review from Goodreads
(BTW, the writer has never met the reviewer and was not even aware of the review until very recently – You can look up the review on Goodreads, if you like)
A Dark Horse
Every gambler is
bound to run out of luck eventually, right?
By far my
favourite type of horror is psychological horror. I was quite pleased
with how Mr. Olausen frightened his audience without spilling a
single drop of blood or so much as hinting at anything gory. He knew
exactly what hints to drop for us that made us deliciously dread the
next scene simply by throwing out hints about who or what the dark
horse might actually represent. This is the kind of stuff I love
getting scared by, especially as Halloween approaches.
It
would have been helpful to have more character development in this
short story. While I certainly wouldn’t expect to see as much time
spent on this as I would for a full-length novel, I did have trouble
connecting to the main characters due to how little I knew about them
and how much their personalities seemed to remain the same no matter
what happened to them. If not for this issue, I would have felt
comfortable choosing a much higher rating as the plot itself was well
done.
I must admit to not knowing much about gambling at
all, so I appreciated the brief explanations the narrator shared
about how placing bets works and why some people have so much trouble
walking away from a bet. While I will leave it up to experts on these
topics to say how accurate everything was, I did enjoy learning more
about the main character’s addiction and what he hoped to gain from
betting on just one more game or race. It gave me a stronger sense of
empathy for folks in his position.
A Dark Horse – A
Gothic Tale was a deliciously chilling story for the Halloween season
and beyond.



No comments:
Post a Comment